The Berkeley MBA for social impact

By Angela Fleekop

How do you see yourself making an impact on society? Is it...

From hands-on learning opportunities to peers that inspire, Berkeley Haas offers students in our Evening & WeekendFull-time, and MBA for Executives programs many ways to gain social impact perspective and experience—and to make a difference wherever and however they choose. We invite you to meet a few students who have shaped their MBA for social impact:

Ijeh OgbechieIjeh Ogbechie, MBA 17, Principal, Haas Socially Responsible Investment Fund (Evening & Weekend MBA)
Senior Operations Associate, Algert Global LLC

“I want to focus my career toward a position where I can have a greater positive social impact on my community. Berkeley Haas is hands-down the best school in that sector. It not only offers great classes on the topic, but I'm also I’m forming networks with companies and individuals who are committed to social impact.”

Katie BenintendeKatie Benintende, MBA 15, Mayfield Fellow, Net Impact VP (Full-time MBA)
Senior Strategy Lead, Google  

“When I was on the fence, deciding between pursuing a technology path or exploring the social impact sector, career coaches helped me sort out the opportunities to do both. There are a lot of tech companies that have strong missions to be environmentally sustainable.”

To learn more, download our free ebook on the Berkeley MBA and Social Impact

New Call-to-action

Andrew HeningAndrew Hening, MBA 17 (Evening & Weekend MBA)
Director Homeless Planning & Outreach, City of San Rafael

“I first thought I would use my MBA studies as a foundation for starting a socially responsible business. My new job with the City of San Rafael was unexpected, but when I saw how much opportunity there is for government to improve people’s lives by using more of a ‘business mindset’, I jumped at the opportunity.”

Sonali PatelSonali Patel, MBA 17 (Executive MBA)
Policy Fellow, Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago

“Given my background (former White House policy advisor), it would be too easy to choose Beyond Yourself as my favorite of the Defining Principles. I’ve always been encouraged by mentors and my own curiosity to Question the Status Quo. But questioning is only the beginning; Berkeley Haas is giving me the skills to undertake the real work of solving tough problems which in turn, contributes to improving the world.”

Olivia AngladeOlivia Anglade, MBA 16 (Full-time MBA)
Consultant, The Boston Consulting Group

“Everyone at Berkeley-Haas has big ideas, they really do want to go Beyond Themselves by having an impact on society. My personal interest in social impact prompted me to lead a Career Trek to two Bay Area consulting firms that specialize in social impact consulting.”

Jake KislevitzJacob Kislevitz, MBA 17 (Executive MBA)
Manager, Climate Change and Sustainability Services, EY

“I work with my clients to realize the value of environmental and social responsibility and strengthen relationships with their customers, employees, suppliers and the communities in which they operate. At Berkeley Haas I am learning how to better align traditional organizational priorities with leading ethical and responsible corporate practices.”

Could an MBA help you make the the difference you want to make? Get our free ebook to take a closer look at social impact opportunities at Berkeley Haas. 

New Call-to-action

Posted on May 12, 2017
Themes: Social Impact
Angela Fleekop
Angela is the Associate Director of Full-time MBA Admissions at Berkeley Haas. She has over a decade of experience working in higher education and nonprofit organizations throughout California. She enjoys meeting prospective students and sharing the story of the incredible Haas experience and culture.