Admissions FAQ: GMAT/GRE requirements

During the application cycle, we get a lot of questions about the GRE and the GMAT.  Please find some of the most frequently asked questions - and their answers - below.

As always, you can contact the MFE office at mfe@haas.berkeley.edu if you have questions.

Does the MFE program at Berkeley require the GRE or the GMAT?

We require either the GMAT or GRE. All GMAT and GRE scores are valid for five years from the start date of the program to which you are applying. If you are applying for the program beginning in March 2017, your should provide scores from exams taken April 1, 2012 or later.

Is there a minimum GRE or GMAT score?

There is no minimum score for admission.  At Berkeley, we evaluate all of the aspects of a candidate's profile to make an admissions decision.  That said, the most successful applicants will have GMAT or GRE Quantitative scores in the 90th percentile. Verbal and Analytical scores should also be strong.

Can I waive the GRE or GMAT?

You may waive the GMAT/GRE requirement if you will receive a Ph.D. degree before December 31, 2016. 

What codes should I use to report my scores?

When reporting GRE scores, use institution code 4833 and department code 4399. For GMAT scores, use program code N2V-PT-87.

My GRE or GMAT scores are lower than the average scores of the admitted students. Can I still be considered for admission?

Yes. Our admissions process is comprehensive and we consider a number of factors when reviewing candidates for admission. That said, if your scores fall significantly lower than our averages, we strongly suggest that you retake the exams to try for higher scores.

If I retake the GRE or GMAT, how will the admissions committee evaluate my scores?

The Berkeley MFE program will look at the highest score in each section from all exams taken.

The Berkeley Master of Financial Engineering Program, a STEM designated degree, provides you with the knowledge and skills to prepare you for a career in the finance/fintech industry.