Admissions: Round 2 deadline is this Thursday. Are you ready?

Our Round 2 deadline for the 2017-18 program is just around the corner!  We have gotten lots of questions about the application process and hope we can answer some of them here.  As a reminder, the deadline is 11:59 PM Pacific time on Thursday, March 31.  

As always, if you have  questions that have not been answered here, please contact us!  We're available 9 AM - 5 PM Pacific time, Monday-Friday.

- What if I haven't taken my GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS yet, or if I have taken it, but the scores will not be ready by the deadline?  Can you still review my file?

Yes!  Just send the application without the scores and then make sure that the testing agency sends the scores directly to us when they are ready. You should also send us a screenshot of your score report when it is available.  We may be able to begin the review of your file without the scores, but will need them in order to make a final decision on your application.

- It seems that my recommender has not yet submitted a letter on my behalf.  Can I still submit my application and have it reviewed by the deadline?

Yes!  Please submit the application and we can follow up with the recommender.  Please note that as long as we have two recommendation letters in our system, we can begin the review of your file (as long as it is otherwise complete)

- Can I submit my application even though I still need to complete some prerequisites?

Yes!  We recognize that many students can complete prerequisite courses between the time they apply and the time the program begins.  We encourage you to list your preparation plan in the application (short answer question 1) and we will follow your progress.

- I am currently enrolled in a degree program that will finish before the start of the Berkeley MFE program.  Can I submit my application before I have completed the other degree program?

Yes!  Please send us the transcripts that are currently available.  We will request final transcripts once you have completed your degree.

- What if my "metrics" (test scores, work experience, etc.) don't seem to match the average numbers you list on the website?  Can I still apply?

Yes, certainly.  We take into account all of the aspects of the applicant's profile and carefully review each file to ensure that we understand each applicant's skillset.  It's also important to know that the "average" numbers are just that - averages, which represent a wide range of values.

- I have work experience, but it is in an area other than finance.  Can I still apply?

Certainly!  Many of our students come from engineering, R&D, data science, and other fields in which they have developed relevant quantitative skillsets.  The Berkeley MFE can help these students learn to apply the skills they have to the solutions of problems found in the finance field.

- How can I find answers to my other questions or request a 1:1 advising session with an MFE admissions counselor?

First, we strongly encourage you to join an information session or an admissions Q&A session (please see the full schedule here) to ask your questions and gain more information on the program and the admissions process. Second, you can call or email us at mfe@haas.berkeley.edu to schedule a 1:1 advising session with an admissions counselor, or call us at +1-510-642-4417 during business hours.  During an advising session, our admissions counselors will be able to discuss a preparation plan tailored to your background and advise you on how to optimize your application.

We look forward to further discussion with you.

Kind regards,

The Berkeley MFE Admissions Team