My views on our students

Those of you who know me know I like bragging about our students! Clearly, the Berkeley MFE brings top notch students into this program. To give you an example of the types of students we look for, I thought I would share what a typical letter of recommendation for an MFE application tends to look like.

What are the applicant's colleagues like and how does the applicant compare?

Mr. X (MFE2012) was more intellectually curious and self-directed than the typical XX (university name)  student enrolled in an academically serious course of study.

How effective are the applicant's interpersonal skills in working with peers, supervisors, and subordinates?

He is exceptional in this and other areas.

What are the applicant's strengths and special talents?

As I said, he is intellectually curious and self-directed.  He is also very intelligent and a delight to be around.

What are the applicant's weaknesses or areas in need of improvement?

I, personally, would encourage him to dig even deeper into his mathematical training.  He is already well versed, but he has much more capacity.

Please feel free to add any additional comments or to explain your ratings on a separate sheet of paper.

I have been at XX for 17 years and Mr. X is one of two undergraduates that simply stand out in my experience.  He is the total package.

Please comment on the applicant's business ethics.

He is profoundly ethical -- the very person you would hope your daughter would bring home.

Indeed, the Berkeley MFE attracts the top echelon, the cream of the crop. Our students not only learn from the faculty, but also from their fellow classmates. We get the total package, in all of them. It is a pleasure to work with this talented cast of students, and I know my colleagues share my views. The focus of the program is the student first and foremost.