Why Business School? Berkeley MBA Students Share Their Reasons

Students from three MBA programs converge in the courtyard at Berkeley-Haas

At its core, a decision to pursue an MBA is a decision to take ownership of one's career. We hear often from students about the desire to explore and to move their careers forward in new ways. They also tell us they want to have greater impact and refuel their passion for work—perhaps find even more meaningful work

Why go to business school? Here are a few reasons shared by students in the Evening & Weekend, Full-time, and MBA for Executives programs at Berkeley-Haas:

Zeeshan Mokarim

"Being a Student Always includes setting a good example for my children when they see me doing my homework while they are doing theirs. Knowledge is one of the few things in life that gives you more the more you share it with others." — Zeeshan Mokarim

Marina Levi

“The executive MBA program is a time for me to explore ideas, paths, and roles for the future. It builds skillsets that can be used across any industry and function. I especially look forward to learning and growing in entrepreneurship, design-thinking and leadership.” — Marina Levi

Katie Pickrell

"Getting your MBA gives you two years to think big thoughts and try them out. New ideas get unconditional support here, and there’s no pressure to get it right the first time. For me, that kind of thinking was a huge change." — Katie Pickrell

Ijeh Ogbechie

"I want to focus my career toward a position where I can have a greater positive social impact on my community. Berkeley-Haas is hands-down the best school in that sector. It not only offers great classes on the topic, I’m forming networks with companies and individuals who are committed to social impact.” — Ijeh Ogbechie

Kevin Blake

"Some of the executive MBA programs I looked at emphasized what you could get out of it, like networking. Berkeley-Haas has that, sure, but this school is more about what we all can do for each other, for the world, for something that is bigger than us as individuals."
Kevin Blake

Amelia Kusar

"It’s important to learn from other professions and sectors. Otherwise, you run the risk of talking in circles and never getting out of your pigeonhole. I’m getting an MBA to be a more well-rounded professional." — Amelia Kusar

If you're considering an MBA, we invite you to compare the three MBA programs at Berkeley-Haas. Compare Berkeley MBA Programs

And if you're looking for more reasons people might choose to go to business school, check out these posts:

Student quotes have been refreshed on this blog post, originally published September 7, 2015

Eileen is Senior Assistant Director of Admissions for the Berkeley MBA Programs for Working Professionals. She enjoys meeting prospective students and helping them explore the benefits of an MBA, and hopes these blog posts provide valuable insight into the Berkeley MBA experience.