One week to go

It's that time of the year again--Finals Week.

I'm supposed to be working on a the paper for Negotiations. It's due tomorrow. I need to explain how my "real world" negotiation was augmented by the wisdom I gained in the class. I would like to say that I negotiated the best deal ever. But in actuality, it ended in an impasse. The structured cases we study are rarely like situations in real life.

Right now, my other class is not fun either. With one week left before we present to Real Live Venture Capitalists at a Real Live office, our adviser has essentially told us that our business plan sucks. Well, that's his way of showing tough love. We have a week to work on it.

I am wondering how much of this is supposed to be like real life. It's not as if we are undergrads. Most people in the class have been working for about 10 years. The fact is, real life is often more forgiving than at school. If you make an error at work, usually you have the chance to correct it. If you don't know the answer to a question, you can get back to someone later with the answer.

I guess this is what it's been like to be a negotiator or an entrepreneur. I don't know if I'll find out what the real life version of these roles are truly like.