Reminiscing about Orientation as an Evening & Weekend MBA

It's about a month into the semester already and I'm reminiscing on the past two years in the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program. After having attended Orientation as a committee member, I had to look back at my own class' orientation and the statements that stuck with me.

Thinking back to Class of '11 Orientation, some quotes from our starting weekend two years ago are still useful today for students at Haas and everywhere... with a few extra subtitles:

• "As a full-time professional, part-time student, you now juggle three things: life, school and work. One of the three is bound to suffer." (..without the right support system in place..)

• "You either are owners or visitors. You decide, and everyone else knows what and when you've decided it." (.. just remember this, if you try to slack off at work or school or life..)

• "You must be the change you want to see in the world." (Gandhi's words still hold true)

To this, I add a few of my own (semi-humorous) tidbits of wisdom from the multiverse:

• "Why.. so.. serious?" (The Joker in Dark Knight Returns; don't forget to have a little fun..)

• "If you had one shot, one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment. Would you capture it, or just let it slip?" (Eminem in Lose Yourself; recently wrecked at an Orientation party near you ;) But hey, it fits with the entrepreneurial theme)

• "If I was you and you were me, you'd wanna be winning. If you want something bad, yo, you gotta wanna give your all." (On Our Own, Bobby Brown - 90's flashback - Ghostbusters II, anyone?)

• "It's the end where I begin.." (by The Script -- for my third year's and graduating buddies)

Hopefully a little light motivation for our fellow students and blog readers. Go get 'em. :)

- Tim