Oh, the possibilities...

Frequent advice for those applying to MBA programs is "Know what you want, so you can get the most out of your program." And as you may have read in my intro, I have definitely approached my time at Haas with a pretty defined path and set of goals: develop my skills in managing the double bottom line (mission and money) and become an Executive Director at a cultural not-for-profit. So while I haven't had to make many choices yet (the first year core is completely chosen for you), I have joined the Board Fellows program and often consider how to apply my classwork to my daily work at the museum.

But one of the most surprising aspects of the program is my newly developing sense of all the possibilities. I knew I would be surrounded by classmates with a wide diversity of backgrounds and life experiences, and that I would be exposed to academic subjects I had never considered. However, I'm surprised to find that I'm actually enjoying accounting :gasp:! Now, I'm probably not going to switch gears and head toward finance as a career, but I'm really appreciating learning more about the arcane acronyms I'd heard on the news, and how understanding accounting choices can give you insight into how a business is run.

And about a week ago, I took the Gallup business development workshop, and found myself actually considering a career in consulting! I was completely energized throughout the workshop, and found the idea of working in a strengths-based, compensation-for-performance based firm remarkably compelling.

A number of my classmates are "career changers" and attending Haas with the goal of switching fields. I would not have put myself in that category, but I'm pretty excited to learn more about other careers where I also could be passionate about the work - even in the private sector!