Many happy returns: Long-term ROI and the Berkeley MBA, Part III

By Julia Sprague

It’s not just about the money. While many articles have focused on the MBA ROI of salary, Haas graduates will tell you there are many other benefits to a degree from a top part-time MBA program.

In this three-part series, we asked several Berkeley Haas alums how their degrees have affected their personal and professional satisfaction in the longer term. (Here are parts I and II)

Berkeley MBA Alum Gregg ChowName and degree: Gregg Chow, MBA 94

Lives in: Greenwich, CT

Works in: New York, NY

Position prior to Haas and position today: “Before coming to Haas to study in the Evening & Weekend MBA Program, I was working for an investment bank in San Francisco in corporate finance. Now I’m a managing director at another investment bank – managing a global sales force.”

How his Berkeley MBA has improved his career: “I studied economics as an undergrad at Cal before going to Haas. Cal teaches students to question the status quo, think beyond the face value, dive deeper into topics, and be an independent thinker. My degree enhanced that, with critical reasoning, innovative thinking and the specific financial and leadership skills to further my career in my chosen field."

"Haas gave me exposure to great minds such as Laura Tyson, Mark Rubinstein, and Rich Lyons, and showed me the connectivity between theory and practice. It set the foundation for the rest of my life.”

"Haas...set the foundation for the rest of my life."

Most rewarding aspects of life today: “I enjoy working in dynamic markets and helping my clients to solve complex issues. I also get a lot of satisfaction training the new hires at our firm, setting them up for long-term success. Haas reinforced my belief that if you follow your passion and study it, you will be successful in life, both extrinsically and intrinsically.”

Other ways in which his Berkeley experiences have impacted his life: "Haas also stresses stewardship and positively impacting society. After losing our home during Hurricane Sandy, my daughter and I launched a charity to help children impacted by natural disasters.  We hope it will make the world a better place down the road. I’m so extremely proud to say I graduated from Haas and Cal.”

—Kirsten Mickelwait

Want to set the foundation for the rest of your life?

See more reasons to choose the Berkeley Haas MBA

Posted on April 2, 2015
Themes: Alumni  |  Finance
Julia Sprague
Julia is Associate Director of Admissions for the Berkeley MBA Programs for Working Professionals. She hopes these blog posts provide you with more personal insight into the Berkeley-Haas and Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA program experience.