I'll Sleep Later

This has been an exciting week for Haas in terms of awards and accolades. Professor Oliver Williamson won the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences. It's been 15 years since our last Haas Nobel Prize Winner, so it's amazing to be here as this is announced. Perhaps the best part is that he gets his own parking spot on the central campus (great perk). NL stands of course, for Nobel Laureate.Then later in the week, the Economist ranked Haas the #1 b-school in North America!

Both of these items are creating wonderful buzz on twitter and facebook as well as other channels, and I'm sure they're of great interest to the new admits that were at last Saturday's Diversity Workshop hosted by the Admissions Committee. Two of us from the Evening weekend program, two from the Full-time program, and one from the Berkeley-Columbia Executive program joined together for the student panel and answered some of your most common questions. The day had a full agenda including a case study, our student panel, lunch with current students, an alumni panel, and more. One thing about Haas that is really cool is that the students get involved in giving back to admissions and volunteering in other ways. For those of you interested in going to another workshop, there are two more coming up before the end of the year - the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender workshop and the Women's Workshop. More details can be found here: http://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/community/diversity_workshops.html and sign up info is located here. You might even see a familiar face/name in the video about the workshops. I can say that I have a new respect for newscasters and other people who need to speak on camera.

In any case, the next few weeks of my life are fairly full. Like Deanne, I feel like I'm running around a lot; though not quite as far reaching as Deanne's travels, I'll be traveling a lot throughout the Bay Area and will be in Berkeley at least four times in the upcoming week- thank goodness for my parking pass. The third year is good with more time to go on campus to do some of the things we haven't had a chance to do, but at the same time, the trade-off is less sleep, but I'll make it up later - probably during Christmas break.