Bidding for Spring

It's a pretty chilly morning, but that's not why I'm thinking about spring...it's actually time to bid for spring semester classes!

After the first year of all-required core classes, your schedule becomes (almost) completely wide open. Since the Berkeley MBA is a general management degree, there are no set classes for concentrations. This means you can go as broad or as deep as you want, in whatever interests you.

This semester, I took negotiations, strategic brand management, and Problem Finding / Problem Solving (a required 1-unit design thinking course) and as I look to the options for the next semester, I'm realizing how few classes really remain. Since each semester is 6 units, and most classes are 3 units, I really only have 6 more classes to take, so I need to pick wisely!

I find so many classes appealing, it's actually really hard to decide. As a second year, I get 1,500 points to allocate to my first choices of classes - third years get 3,000. There are two rounds of bidding for spring - so if you don't get into the classes you want the first round, you get another chance for the second round. Plus, most classes have an add/drop period once the semester starts, so you get a third chance to get in off wait lists as well. The amount of points required to get into a course varies each semester, depending on what's offered and student interest, so it's hard to know exactly how to bid. But I was able to get into my classes on the first round last time, so I'm hoping my luck will hold for the spring!

Tonight we have a presentation on electives during the dinner break - so we'll get to hear from various professors about the classes they're offering - so we can decide wisely. I already have some thoughts on what I want, but I'm definitely keeping an open mind!

-Jennifer Caleshu