Advice from Alums: Changing Careers During Your EMBA Program

A few of our alums sat down recently with students in the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program to share insights and advice. Here's what they had to say about changing careers during your EMBA Program:

• "Recruit your whole class and let them know what it is you want to do. There is a force multiplier effect in expanding your network across those of your classmates ."—Chris Kuhns, director of M&A, Omnicell, EMBA 10.
  • "If you can try something new, even for a short time, it’s worth it. During a sabbatical from a tech firm I got a three-week contract with a hedge fund through a Haas alum. A bit of experimentation is good."—Joshua Posamentier, Principal, Prelude Ventures, EMBA 07.
  • "The leap you are willing to make to go to business school is similar to the leap you’d make to a new vocation. Apply a willingness to leap to other parts of your life."—Nick Triantos, head of mobile software, NetApp, EMBA 07.
  • "Recognize that you build a very broad skill set in business school. I didn’t set out to work in private equity and didn't know anything about intellectual property, but I went into something I never expected."—Jason Teller, client director, Intellectual Ventures, EMBA 11.
  • "Use business school to do your homework about a new space. By the time I graduated I had done 4-5 projects in cleantech, which sped up my learning curve."—Bhavik Joshi, CEO, LaunchPad Central, EMBA 09.

Want more insights and advice? We also have alumni perspective on Getting the most out of your EMBA Experience.

Susan is Director of Admissions for the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program. She has nearly twenty years of experience in marketing and advertising, having worked in several different industries including technology, travel, healthcare -- and many others from her media planning days at J. Walter Thompson where her clients included Chevron, Kaiser Permanente, Nestle, and Ford. She enjoys advising prospective students and guiding them through their personal MBA experience.