Highlights From The Japan Trek 2012

The Haas Japan Trek 2012 is coming to a close. First of all, special props to the trip organizers for their hard work, meticulous planning, and amazing coordination. The entire trip was a blast from beginning to end. You can read more here.

As for the highlights and memories? Here's my list:

• Walking the streets of Osaka, braving the crowds, and visiting amazing video game arcades with endless claw machines
  • Seeing the red gates of the Fushimi Inari Shrine and hearing our hosts comically bad-mouth Memoirs of a Geisha
  • Learning drinking games from Maiko (Geishas-in-training)
  • Seeing a million cute deer co-exist with humans in Nara
  • Participating in a real live Japanese tea ceremony
  • Riding a bullet train to Hakone and eating an egg boiled in sulfurous, volcanic water
  • Sitting in an onsen (hot spring) with classmates and not feeling too awkward
  • Wearing a pink yukata, like a boss
  • Eating rice balls from 7-Eleven (I don't care what people say, they are delicious)
  • Seeing all of Tokyo from the observation deck at Roppongi Hills
  • Having a drinking party underneath some cherry blossom trees while Japanese citizens point and take pictures of us
  • Surviving Akihabara (enough said)
  • Staying up all night to see the fish auction at Tsukiji Fish Market and then eating the most expensive (but delicious) sushi in the history of mankind
  • Assorted oddities!
In conclusion, Japan was everything I expected and more. I am really glad that I went. I simply cannot wait to see what trips will be offered next year.