The Sounds of Berkeley

When I was looking at schools a bit over a year ago, one of the programs that helped Haas stand-out was the Berkeley Board Fellows, run by the Center for Public and Non-Profit Leadership. The Board Fellows program pairs students from Haas with a non-profit board in the Bay Area. The selected students have the unique opportunity to serve as non-voting members on the Board of a non-profit organization. The participating non-profit boards get a young professional to spearhead an important initiative and potentially bring a new perspective to the organization.

Board Fellow applications were due in September and selections were made in October. I had the good fortune to be paired with the Berkeley Symphony. While the Board Fellow work will begin in earnest in November, I had the opportunity to attend the season’s opening concert last night. It was a terrific performance, led by Joana Carneiro, one of the most promising young conductors performing today.

I look forward to assisting the Symphony’s leadership achieve their strategic objectives as we move from November thru May. Last night I was able to just sit back and enjoy the music.

– Marc Zlomek