Promoting Diversity at Berkeley-Haas

It's hard to believe that we're already underway in Fall B. Time does fly and it's pretty exciting to see that many of my fellow classmates are already hard at work in planning what I'm sure will be amazing winter treks to destinations such as Brazil, China, India, Southeast Asia, and Australia/New Zealand.

Among the many exciting things happening all around the Haas community (a lot of them you can see on this blog from other posts), I'm especially thrilled about Haas' strong and unwavering commitment to promoting diversity not just on campus, but in all areas of business and management.

In March 2010, Berkeley-Haas announced that it was joining, for the second time, the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management (www.cgsm.org), a national nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing diversity and inclusion in American business.

Haas originally joined the Consortium in 1992 but was forced to withdraw a decade later as a result of Proposition 209. The Consortium, which at the time awarded fellowships to African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans, has since expanded its mission to include all U.S. citizens and permanent residents, allowing Haas to once again participate.

I'm honored to be a member of Haas' first Consortium class this year and it's been a blast exchanging ideas and learning from my Consortium classmates, who come from diverse backgrounds and are talented in so many different ways! We got to bond with one another well before school started in August when we all gathered in Minneapolis for the Consortium's annual Orientation Program (OP) in June. Many of my Consortium classmates came out of that conference with internship offers for next summer!

I'm also extremely honored and humbled to be serving as one of the three Consortium liaisons for Berkeley-Haas and I've enjoyed talking with prospective students (via email, phone, Skype) about the value of the Consortium and the great compatibility between the Consortium's mission and Haas' amazing culture.

More information can be found from this article from the Haas Newsroom.

As the application season for Haas' Class of 2014 ramps up, I encourage prospective students who are interested in the Berkeley MBA Program and the Consortium to reach out to the Haas Student Ambassadors (HSAs), the Consortium liaisons, and the admissions office to get more insights. I also encourage prospective students to attend the annual Diversity Workshop on the Haas campus. It will take place on Saturday, 11/5/2011. More information about the conference and registration can be found here.

haasdiversityworkshop.eventbrite.com

The tireless students here are working hard to plan this great event and we have some amazing speakers and panelists lined up! The Consortium students will also be there to answer questions and showcase the life of a Berkeley MBA student!

Go Haas!