How Can You Stand Out As An Applicant?

Hi! This is Erin Kellerhals, Associate Director of Admissions, and having just returned from several months on the road, I wanted to share some thoughts. My travel this year took me all over the world to speak with numerous prospective applicants and without a doubt the most frequently asked question, no matter what city, industry or field of interest, was “What will make me stand out as an applicant?”

Yes, it’s the million dollar question. And if I had a dollar for every time I was asked, well, you get the picture.

So what is the million dollar answer? At Haas, we are looking for very smart, very diverse, very passionate leaders—the kind of leaders who take intelligent risks, consider the long-term impact of their actions and have a high value for lifelong learning. The application process is one of serious self-reflection that will ultimately best represent who you are and who you want to be. Set yourself apart by being authentic, sharing with us what motivates you, what you want to achieve and how you will do so. Don’t write what you think we want to read. If the several thousand applications we receive are truly honest and thoughtful, we should be getting several thousand different answers to the million dollar question.

—Erin