.. a slice of the sky!

I've always believed that it's all about the frame of mind. It's all about keeping yourself open. Open to new experiences. To new points of view. and to new ways of thinking. Even so, I seem to have been ridiculously myopic about the first couple of months here. But, i'm happy to report, all of that has changed. In a couple of weeks, I've turned the corner, and I'm finding myself in a good place. How so? Let me tell you.

Last week, I had the opportunity to have lunch with my Economics professor. Now, for an engineer (me), who for some wierd reason hasn't had a course of economics ever (which by the way, is something i now believe should be an essential part of any engineer's make up) the way the world runs has always been one of those eternal mysteries of life. Like Evolution. Like the meaning of life. Like so many other things about existence that we cannot put our finger on. The beauty about attending this class of microeconomics for me is that the class shows me a way of thinking, a frame of mind, that at the same time is amazingly powerful, and amazingly simple. 6 weeks into this course, i feel i understand a lot more about the way markets operate (not that i'm an expert now), but surely what seemed like an unsolvable mystery is now a science that i believe can be learnt. I still understand and acknowledge Adam Smith's Invisible Hand; however, i can now see the mechanics that rule pricing, competition and demand (for those engineers out there, economics is to business what physics is to science... then again, there are those who might not agree with me, and i might be wrong, but this is how i feel right now. )
So coming back to the lunch, that time I spent listening to the conversation was truly an enriching experience for me. I was already in love with the course, now I can't get enough of it!
About Paulo's post, i completely agree. Sooner or later, you'll end up in a position where you aren't the best. However, the way I see it, this is a good place to be. The amount you learn everyday is one of those things that makes you grow as a person. The good thing about being at Haas is that here, I don't have to be looking over my shoulder at the competition. I don't have to climb a ladder and not let any one else on it. I run with my class. I see smiles all around. I've made real friends. And that is something special that this school gives you.
As October kicks in, and prospective round 1 applicants start to break into a sweat all over the world, I have just this one thing to say. Don't fret too much. Each one of you is an amazing person. The story of your life is amazing. Just stay confident, and run the course. And all will be well!

—addy