Common Italian mistakes

In the last weeks, in classes and in other events, I have heard a lot about mistakes. Of course success is not about avoiding all mistakes. Is then success about making many many mistakes and learning from them? This was my original idea, but it does not sound right anymore. Making a lot of mistakes at an automatic gas pump when you try to fuel your car is not the same as making lots of mistakes when trying to start your own company. The purpose is probably what makes the difference between errors that build success, and errors that lead nowhere.

What I think right now, at the beginning of my fourth week of courses at Haas, is that success is about being open to make a lot of mistakes whilst pursuing your own, totally personal and heartfelt, definition of success/happiness.

Speaking of what, I am doing a lot of mistakes. Errors in language and pronunciation, first of all: I am Italian and I never had to speak English every day, with everyone. Cultural mistakes when approaching all of my classmates, who are so diverse that every day I learn as much about Japanese, Indian, Chinese, French, German and other cultures, as I learn about the US culture. Mistakes in managing the workload, how many of them! Only the second week here I discovered the importance of the syllabuses. Errors in trying to network, because networking is a new world to me. Mistakes in a lot of subjects, from finance to microeconomics to accounting, because of my background very IT-focused.

BUT, what makes all of these mistakes precious to me, is how they fall in place in the pursuit for my personal objectives. Every time I start to feel frustrated, overwhelmed, not up to the task, I just sit back and ask myself "Who was I before starting the MBA, two months ago?", "How are these mistakes helping me to go beyond what I am?", "What am I achieving, despite and by means of these mistakes, in my personal growth path?". There you go - every mistake I am making at Haas has its deep WHY in my mind, and by this reason it is an investment towards my personal success.

Typos included :)

—Paolo Ferro