The Start of Business School

Hello all! My name is Jason Lyman and I am a proud member of the Class of 2012! Seeing as I am an avid blog reader myself, I thought that it would be a great experience to volunteer as a student blogger here at Haas. I know that going to business school is going to be a very unique experience and wanted to have a way to capture all the wonderful experiences I will have during my two years. Additionally, I hope that I can provide some additional color around life at Haas for all your prospective applicants out there.

Just as a some background for you readers, I did my undergrad work at BYU in Provo, Utah and then spent the next four years working as a strategy consultant for L.E.K. Consulting in its Los Angeles office. During my time there, I worked across a variety of different industries but really developed a focus in the media and entertainment space. Although I enjoyed my time there, I left to come to business school to round-out my business skill-set and look to transition into the technology space. (However, I am keeping an open mind and will evaluate different opportunities as they arise...)

Although school has not officially started, many of us are attending some "Pre-term" classes right now to review some subject matter that will be valuable to understand once we begin the core classes at the end of the month. I have enjoyed this opportunity to ease back into the "school lifestyle" as well as the chance to get to know some of my classmates better. I have been truly impressed with the talented group of people I have meet thus far and look forward to getting to know them better.

Anyway, I got to rest up...O-week is coming...I heard it is a crazy time and I can't wait!

—Jason