Symantec Tech Trek

When Vince and Matt asked me to write a guest post, I couldn't turn down the opportunity to share my experience here at Haas. This past Friday, roughly 15 members from the Haas Tech Club trekked to Mountain View, CA to tour Symantec’s corporate headquarters. While Symantec has grown to a Fortune 500 company with revenues exceeding $6 billion, the Symantec campus still has the energy of a start-up – ping-pong and fussball tables line the hallways and sand volleyball courts scattered around the campus get plenty of use.

While at Symantec, we toured a couple of their data centers dedicated to product development and R&D. I’ve been to a fair amount of data centers in my day but none as complex as Symantec’s. Symantec technicians support hundreds of unique hardware configurations and OS platforms to simulate each of Symantec’s customers’ infrastructures and environment.

Both the VP of Finance and VP of Symantec’s Storage and Availability Management Group (SAMG) provided overviews of the business and MBA full-time and internship opportunities available. Then we had a Q+A session with a number of Symantec employees working on the corporate finance and SAMG product management/marketing teams (many of whom were Haas alums!). Talking with Symantec employees, definitely gave us a better sense of what it is like to work at one of the world’s leading information management and security companies. I was very impressed with Symantec and glad to be a part of this Tech Club Trek.

Thanks Symantec and we look forward to seeing you at the December Consumption Function!

—Tim Potter, MBA 11