A refuge

As a resident of New York City for over a decade before I arrived at Haas, I should have been well accustomed to the high-octane level of activities during O-Week... but man, these people never slow down!!! The "laid-back" reputation of Berkeley might need to be rethought in relation to Haas students... I was thoroughly impressed by my new classmates who managed to go out every night of the week after a packed orientation itinerary created for us by the valiant second-years (most of whom seemed to be still finishing up summer internships in whatever waking hours they had when they weren't concocting competitive and/or costumed trials for us). Nursing a bad cold myself (it was going around - what do you expect when you start shaking hands with 240 people who just arrived from all over the world?), I took it easy until the big Friday night extravaganza. "If only our mothers could see us now," I joked to my seatmate on the Pirate Bus ("Arrrrgggggghhhh!") as I applied a skull & crossbones stick-on tatoo to my bicep -- not an easy task when wearing an eyepatch, I'll assure you, though liberal quantities of PBR from a can might have made me less fussy about the resulting crookedness...

One feature of the Bay Area that I'm beginning to enjoy immensely is the close proximity of natural beauty -- when you just need to get away from it all and recharge. In stark contrast to the raucous fun of O-Week, I found peace and solitude at Muir Woods. Peering up, up & upward toward the tippy-tops of the giant redwood trees, I was pleased that "The Cathedral" area was designated a quiet zone. Yes - a refuge...

—Wendy