A Long Time Ago, In a Galaxy Far, Far Away...

Long time no post! Thought I would write a little something during my lunch hour at LucasArts (a Lucasfilm division), where I'm having the time of my life in the best internships/jobs I've ever had!

For those of you who don't know, my career goal going into Haas was to find a job where I'm passionate about the industry and product, where the excitement makes even mundane tasks such as note taking fun. Otherwise, why spend 2 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars to get an MBA just to go back to a job you're not super happy with?

So far, 5 weeks into the internship (wow, time flies!), I am coming to the conclusion that I found that industry/company. As much as I loved my International Business Development experience (more to come on that, I promise!), I was dying to start at LucasArts since school ended. The company did not disappoint.

The "JEDI Academy" (which stands for "Joint Education Development Initiative", I think) started 2 years ago with the goal of bringing a steady stream of interns into Lucasfilm (the parent company) as an "extended interview" process. This year, they decided to expand the internship to include MBAs, and I am proud to say, all three spots (out of 100+ applications) were taken up by Haas MBAs (GO BEARS!). My group focuses on the publishing arm of LucasArts, the video game division, called External Production Management. The key task of the group is to make sure that the company maintains a good working relationship with a 3rd party game developer and that any game that uses the Lucasfilm IPs (Star Wars and Indiana Jones) maintain the high quality and fun factor that George himself demands. I must say, it's like drinking out of a firehose learning about all the millions of items that goes into releasing a game!

Outside of work, the intern group (30+ of us) has a lot of great activities such as ball games, speaker series, Alcatraz tours, etc... But nothing beats going to Skywalker Ranch (where Skywalker Sound and George Lucas works) for an intern tour and an annual July 4th company picnic. As you can see in the photos, the ranch is beautiful, and we got to see some stuff that not many people get to see, including some lightsabers from the original movie. =P

All in all, it's been a great 5 weeks, and it's hard to believe that school starts in just 5 more. Looks like I will be joining the gaming industry, if all goes well during the Fall recruting season, after I graduate. Getting paid to play games, what could be better than that? ;-)

—berlin