Inspirational - Arun Sarin, Former CEO of Vodafone

This week is hell week (like last week, and the week before, and the week before that...), so I'll keep this short.

Today, the first year class (plus the Haas community) was treated to an inspirational speaker for our Leadership core class. Our dean, Richard Lyons, and our Leadership professor Jo-Ellen Pozner were able to invite Arun Sarin, the former CEO of Vodafone (retired 6-7 months ago) and a Haas alum, to come talk to us about what he believes leadership is all about.

I won't bore you with the details, since you can probably find the video posted on the Haas channel on YouTube, but in summary, Arun believed that a good leader needs to master 4 aspects:

1. Global Culture
  2. Strategy
  3. Operations
  4. People

Out of these four, he admits himself that the peopel aspect of leadership is the hardest and the aspect where he has made the most mistakes in his life. That part resonated with me because I've always believed that if a person is not a good people leader, than no matter how great of a strategist they are or no matter how intelligent, they are bound to fail. Hearing Arun Sarin say how important it is definitely made my day.

And now, it's time for me to go back to my ethics readings and entrepreneurship presentation! Till next time...

—berlin