Oh Macro, how I will not miss you...

*disclaimer: for you non-drinkers out there, the words "drink" and "alcohol" can be substituted with "golf" and "tee-times" or whatever you like

Hi all... remember me? The cartoonist-blogger who dropped off the face of the earth back in September? Well I'm back, and for that you can thank the Macroeconomics problem set I really should be doing right now.

I want to add to what Bernie said earlier about second semester, first year. Is it easier than first semester? Yes, in that I no longer have an overwhelming FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out), and have stripped some social events out of my schedule. Like Tuesday Night at Bear's Lair. Or most Bar of the Weeks. I now spend most of my going out nights dancing in SF, which is just a better fit for my social profile than hanging out in a bar drinking beer.

Now, even after streamlining my social schedule, is second semester any less busy than first semester? NOPE! At least, it isn't for me. See, when all those second-years said, "Don't sign up for too much... just pick a few things to get involved with, and stick to those few things," I guess I wasn't really listening. Or I didn't really realize how all of those little involvements would balloon into bigger time commitments in Spring semester.

I think part of what exacerbates the problem is that it's really hard to say no. I think all of us here are used to being involved in things that interest us, like to take on responsibility, and don't like admitting when we may be underwater. At the Leadership Conference early this semester, when the MBAA VP of Clubs (holla at my roommate Rumana!) brought together all the club leaders, this was one of the issues that came up. How do we, as team members, evaluate and communicate when we can't take things on, and how do we, as team leaders, deal with the consequences of people being overcommitted?

I don't really have the answer to this, but I will share my experience a few weeks ago. I was feeling completely overwhelmed and sorta let it all rush out during an Education Leadership Case Competition organizer meeting. I babbled about how overwhelmed I was and how I was ready to give up and asked why am I even here and on and on... And you know what? Even though I felt a little embarrassed about how it came out, that feeling was completely overshadowed by how supported I felt by my team members.

I guess I'm still babbling, but I just wanted to let you all know that sometimes it's ok to admit when you're overcommitted. In fact, your team members may even appreciate you telling them. In the end, the competition ran fine and I'm excited to look ahead to the next year.

But before I do that, I guess I have to figure out how to do this darned Macro homework...

—minimish