MBA mother and gender communication

I haven't gotten my grades back yet, but it seems you can be a woman with children at Haas, learn the core curriculum, make friends, join clubs, stay married, enjoy your children and get to bed by midnight.

I've noticed that men who know of my motherhood status most often introduce me to others as

1. a fellow full time '10er
  2. a mother of 3
  3. full stop

Men who don't know my status introduce me as

1. a fellow full time '10er
    2. a doctor

1. etc

So, how do I define myself? It's funny. I am all of these things, to the core. But I don't know that I really define myself by these other things. My offspring, or the structured knowledge I took years of my life to learn and hone. Admittedly they do define me.

So, has anyone noticed that Sofia (the photo above) has one blue and one green eye? In a previous post she was featured. No one commented about the eyes.

Bill Sonnenshein did a workshop on gender communication yesterday. It was very interesting. Interactive. He really allowed us to hear our classmates experiences and learn from them. I feel like every other experience at Haas provides, or sometimes demands, a good hard look at your self, assumptions, direction. It really made me think about how I define myself vs. how others define me. And how I define others through my implicit and explicit assumptions. Even though I feel like I am very aware and in touch with these issues. I still have a lot to learn.

Note, I have three girls. Gender is on my mind.

While we're on the gender, mother, children, MBA topic, I'll mention Christine. As I am the representative mom, I think it's fair to say she is the representative mom-to-be, knocked up, bun in the oven classmate. No offense intended to anyone, she refers to herself as such, so I feel free to do the same. Besides, it's been me often enough.

Needless to say we're great friends. I want to cut my hair like hers (this is in fact coincidental - I've loved that cut for years and just haven't sported it in a while.) Christine is doing well. She's having fun, is part of everything, and is definitely an important part of the group.

So, all you woman, moms and moms to be, you can do it. And you can give me a call if you want to talk in more detail.

By the way, none of this would be possible without my near-saint husband. I'm going to see if I can get him to do the next blog. Haas MBA with a family, from the partner's perspective. We all know they're the ones who really make this happen.

—elise