Oski, Oski, Oski! oi, oi, oi!

As Sean wrote in the previous post, orientation week so far has been a whirlwind with presentations from a set of amazing speakers, meeting cohorts, practicing cases and so much more.
But, what I really want to write about is what most of us have been looking forward to for the last three weeks - meeting our cohorts. Haas divides its 240 students into four cohorts of 60 students. The cohorts are named Oski (after the Cal mascot, the Oski bear), Axe (the trophy awarded to the winner of the annual Big Football Game between Cal and Stanford), and Gold and Blue (the school colors). For the first semester, we take all of our classes with the 59 other people in our cohort and needless to say will get to know them very well.
I found out yesterday that I’m a proud Oski. I wasn’t sure of what to expect from the cohort, but was blown away with the group when I met them. The variety in background, personal and work experience, diversity, and most importantly, the amazing sense of humour of my cohort is astounding and I’m looking forward to getting to know them all in the upcoming semester.

I have classmates whose work experience has ranged from designing missiles to working for green energy companies and the whole range in between. Meeting these amazing people yesterday definitely reinforced what I’ve heard many times before, but never quite saw clearly - that you will learn as much from your classmates as you will from your professors.

I’m extremely excited about the possibilities and grateful as well. Orientation week is definitely putting into perspective how lucky we all are to be here. I’m excited to post more as the semester goes along and will definitely include more pictures! Go Oski!

—Anaal