MBA Internships: Nike

MBA internships Nike Sarah Swigart
Sarah Swigart, MBA 14, is inspired by the Nike motto: If you have a body, you are an athlete

Student: Sarah Swigart, MBA 14, long distance trail runner (50K) and cyclist (CA to DC), marathoner, and triathlete in the Half-Ironman World Championships.

Interning with: Nike, Portland, Oregon.

Nike because: "They are pushing the limits in brand marketing and in materials innovation and manufacturing. As an athlete myself, I am energized by the way Nike challenges its employees to genuinely serve the athlete."

Thrilled to be getting the chance to: Prepare materials for the CEO. "My group, Corporate Strategy, supported the Executive Team’s annual strategic planning summit. We met with leadership across the organization to tee-up topics that would be discussed and prioritized for the next year. I learned so much listening to these leaders evaluate risks and opportunities."

Applied learning: Facilitating cross-functional ideation meetings. "As a side-project, I am working with a team of 10 undergrads and 3 MBAs towards an end-of-summer presentation about a Nike-internal issue. Problem Finding Problem Solving gave me tools to facilitate constructive and creative brainstorming sessions. I understand when to open perspectives with wild ideas and when to laser-sharpen focus on feasible solutions."

Inside Nike: "My team celebrates birthdays by hitting the gym, rather going out for lunch."

Advancing career goals by: "Transitioning from a consulting role to an internal strategy position. While I possessed the analytical consulting skills my manager was seeking, I believe it was the credibility of the Berkeley MBA that gave Nike confidence in me as a candidate from the disparate field of healthcare."

Earlier this summer, Swigart was part of an IBD team researching operational leasing best practices for a private equity firm interested in the automotive space in China. Read about the team's work in this Haas in the World post.

From 2011-2013, Valerie Gilbert focused on sharing stories of Berkeley MBA student achievements and connection to the Haas Defining Principles. At Haas since 2004 and now Associate Director of Content Marketing, she still enjoys revealing the different facets of life at Berkeley-Haas to a variety of audiences.