First-year MBA Students to Second-years: You are HAASome!

Golden BearsA wave of appreciation is sweeping through the full-time Berkeley MBA program; Some 80 small bears were given by first-year students to thank second-years who have had an impact on their time at Haas. Noa Elan, Jasen Bell, and Anthony Valente, all MBA 14, were behind the ursine appreciation campaign, which came with a “You are HAASome” tag.

“We really wanted to thank second-years and, at the same time, build their commitment to staying engaged with the school and our own commitment to being involved with the upcoming class,” says Elan. “They went beyond themselves to help us and we will do the same.”

Sarah Morra, MBA 13, received a bear from first-year student Ellen Vanderwilt. “At Haas, your work never goes unnoticed,” says Morra. “Your classmates make sure you feel appreciated: anything from a hug after class, to a nomination for a scholarship award, to receiving this Haasome Bear from Ellen.”

HAASsome Robbie
Robbie Lizares prepares to part with his bear
Robbie Lizares, MBA 14, gave a bear to Minnie Fong, MBA 13. “We were both the only ones from the Philippines in our classes, so it was natural for me to seek her out,” says Lizares. “Meeting her was like finding a piece of home...someone who understood me well in a very different place.”

Says Elan, “I joined Haas because I saw the four Defining Principles in every aspect of the school and have only realized, now that I am here, that it’s a stronger force that I could have imagined. The culture and atmosphere have really made me flourish.”

From 2011-2013, Valerie Gilbert focused on sharing stories of Berkeley MBA student achievements and connection to the Haas Defining Principles. At Haas since 2004 and now Associate Director of Content Marketing, she still enjoys revealing the different facets of life at Berkeley-Haas to a variety of audiences.