MBA 11s at Work: Bain Amsterdam

Welcome to MBA 11s at Work, a periodic series on the career launches—in consulting, finance, tech, entrepreneurship, and more—of the Berkeley MBA class of 2011.

Grad: Kitty Sullivan, MBA 11

Working as: Consultant with Bain & Company in Amsterdam, currently on a rotation in the Private Equity Group (PEG). “We perform the commercial due diligences for private equity companies evaluating potential acquisitions.”

Most excited to be working on: PEG. “At first I was a bit intimidated because PEG has a really intense reputation, but it has been surprisingly fun--I really like seeing deals I've worked on in the headlines.”

Why consulting and why Bain: “I love variety-- the ability to live in different countries and to constantly work on different projects with new people--so I realized gradually that consulting was the ideal fit.” Sullivan says the culture at Bain was also a fit. “I just felt like I belonged there when I visited the firm.”

Inside Bain: “Bain Amsterdam is special in that, even though it has grown a lot, it really remains a tight-knit community. We eat lunch together at a big round table--and lunch always means lots and lots of sandwiches; often with chocolate sprinkles, a local custom!”

Best career search strategies: “Contacting people at companies in the industries I was considering,” says Sullivan, who reached out to over a hundred people throughout the two-year search process.

Classroom lessons in action: “I have been counting my lucky stars that I signed up for Mergers and Acquisitions with Peter Goodson. His class was invaluable in preparing me for the world of private equity and I regularly refer to my old handouts.”

Living the Amsterdam life: “I really love living in Europe--all the different cultures and so many countries a short plane ride away. In Amsterdam it is fun to sit outside at bars and cafes along the canals and watch people ride by on their bikes.”

© Picture courtesy of Amsterdam Info

From 2011-2013, Valerie Gilbert focused on sharing stories of Berkeley MBA student achievements and connection to the Haas Defining Principles. At Haas since 2004 and now Associate Director of Content Marketing, she still enjoys revealing the different facets of life at Berkeley-Haas to a variety of audiences.