MBA 11s at Work: Dodge & Cox

Welcome to MBA 11s at Work, a periodic series on the career launches—in consulting, finance, tech, entrepreneurship, and more—of the Berkeley MBA class of 2011. First up: Hallie Marshall of Dodge & Cox.
Grad: Hallie Marshall, MBA 11
Working as: Portfolio Manager with Dodge & Cox, where she researches and analyzes large public companies looking for new investment ideas for the firm's mutual funds and separately-managed accounts.
Thrilled to be with Dodge & Cox because: "The foundation of our investment approach has always been deep, fundamental analysis on companies and securities, combined with a strict valuation discipline," says Marshall. "In the current climate of market uncertainty, I am proud to be part of an investment team that remains committed to its original values of integrity, client focus, continuous learning, persistence, accountability and independence."
Most excited to be working on: Analyzing international companies means Marshall gets to study the political economy of countries worldwide. "I’ve always been interested in the intersection of politics and economics, particularly in the developing world, and my work allows me to study these topics on a daily basis."
Inside Dodge & Cox: The firm brings professors in to instruct equity analysts on topics from accounting to technology strategy analysis. "Haas professors and instructors will be teaching a series at Dodge & Cox in 2012!"
Networked: "There is a healthy Cal vs. Stanford rivalry at my office as there are many alumni from both schools here," says Marshall (who does admit that this past football season was a tough one.)
Best career search strategies: "Working as an equity research analyst intern was the single most important factor that allowed me to confirm my career choice," says Marshall. She also met with the Career Management Group to hone her resume and interview strategy. "My adviser went the extra mile to make sure I was prepared."
From the classroom to reality: "The analyses I learned from Professor Richard Sloan in his “Financial Information Analysis” class are techniques I use regularly to assess earnings quality of the companies I study."
Living the Bay Area life: "In my free time, I hike on Mt. Tamalpais with my 2 year old son in a backpack. (My son is known by classmates as 'Baby Oski' because he was born during our first year at Haas.) I’m expecting another baby in May, so it’s getting harder to make it up the mountain!"

From 2011-2013, Valerie Gilbert focused on sharing stories of Berkeley MBA student achievements and connection to the Haas Defining Principles. At Haas since 2004 and now Associate Director of Content Marketing, she still enjoys revealing the different facets of life at Berkeley-Haas to a variety of audiences.